Known to many as the Nathan Appleton House, 40 Beacon has earned its place in Boston history.
Nathan Appleton, a pivotal figure in early American commerce and industry, was called the “Great Manufacturer” after establishing a precedent of separating manufacturing and marketing operations within the textile industry. He also helped shift New England’s economy to an industrial base after the War of 1812. Appleton and business partner Daniel Pinckney Parker bought 39-40 Beacon Street and built the twin houses on the site, designed by renowned Boston architect Alexander Parris.
On this site, at 40 Beacon Street, Appleton’s daughter Frances married poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow in 1843. Later, the elegant bowfront housed the Women’s City Club of Boston, from 1914 to the 1990s.